Saturday, June 14, 2014

a book I must get and a couple I already have...

I'm not a huge fan of the add a can of this to a can of that school of cookbook writing... Fact of the matter is to put it bluntly I hate them.

Of course, most cookbooks of the cruising on a sailboat ilk are by and large full of add a can of this to a can of that recipes. Kind of bummer that.

It does not have to be that way...

One of the food blogs I read on a daily basis is Nourished Kitchen whose stated purpose is to revive traditional foods (which in my mind translates in real food).

I've never read a bad recipe on the blog which from me is say a lot. So it's not a real big surprise that I'm excited about the current cookbook "the Nourished Kitchen" by Jennifer McGruther...

More importanly all of the recipes in the book are actually a lot more boat and cruiser friendly than you'd expect. Fact is cooking with real ingredients is a lot easier than yopu've been told by folks who have a vested interest in selling you value added/overly processed products with highly inflated prices.

So yeah, "the Nourished Kitchen" is going to be a permanent fixture on my galley shelf.

Another new cookbook I recently bought is "The Homesick Texan's Family Table" by Lisa Fain and it is even better than her previous book
"The Homesick Texan's Cookbook" which is actually a a pretty impressive feat considering how good the first one is.

Not only a lot of good recipes but all are very boat friendly, simple, affordable, and very, very tasty.

Three books dealing with real food and not a single add a can of this to a can of that with an envelope of onion soup mix recipe anywhere...






No comments: